Position Title: Deputy Chief of Party
Reporting to: Chief of Party
Position Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Project Name: Feed the Future Orora Wihaze Activity
CNFA is a not-for-profit international agricultural development organization headquartered in Washington, D.C. and dedicated to increasing rural incomes by empowering farmers and rural entrepreneurs. CNFA assists smallholders in increasing household-level food security and nutrition through improved agricultural practices, introduction of new varieties, diversification of crop production, food preservation and storage, development of farmer-based organizations, and strengthened linkages to markets. CNFA has a successful track record of implementing agricultural development programs in 43 countries. www.cnfa.org
CNFA is currently seeking a Deputy Chief of Party to support an anticipated USAID-funded Feed the Future Orora Wihaze Activity in Kigali, Rwanda. The position will be based in Kigali, Rwanda, and will support the sustainable increase in availability, access, and consumption of animal source foods (ASF) through the development of a profitable market. The Activity will strengthen and develop a private-sector led animal source food value chain and increase demand for animal source foods through nutrition and behavior change communications.
CNFA is a global leader in building strong and stable agricultural value chains and has more than 30 years of successful project design and implementation the Hinga Weze Activity in Rwanda and livestock and nutrition activities in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Niger, and Zimbabwe.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The DCOP will work closely with the COP to manage the day-to-day operations of the project. S/he must have technical knowledge in agribusiness, agricultural policy, finance, marketing, enterprise development, and a particular expertise in production and processing of ASF. The DCOP will work closely with the chief of party and other team members in designing, implementing, and monitoring project interventions to achieve the objectives and deliverables required under this activity. In absence of the COP, the DCOP will assume full responsibility of the project. In addition to standard DCOP duties and responsibilities, the DCOP will provide leadership and technical oversight of production and processing activities.
- An advanced degree in one of the agricultural sciences, such as agronomy, agriculture economics, animal health and nutrition, veterinary medicine, or other relevant or equivalent field;
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience developing and implementing agriculture value chain projects in a developing country;
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in a supervisory role on projects of similar size and complexity, experience with USAID projects preferred;
- Experience and knowledge of designing and supervising agriculture production activities, especially in livestock, poultry, and dairy value chains;
- Experience and knowledge of animal sourced foods processing, including international quality standards;
- Excellent team management skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English are required; fluency in Kinyarwanda and/or French is desirable;
- Previous experience in Rwanda is preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. CNFA takes affirmative action in support of its policy to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.