Advocacy and Communications Manager
As part of the PDQ team, you will be responsible for Advocacy and Communications to the Rwanda CO.
The Advocacy and Communication Manager is responsible for identifying advocacy issues, preparing and implementing advocacy plans, documentation and communicating lessons and good practices from implementing programs to various users. The post holder will ensure a consistent and effective flow of information pertaining to Save the Children’s activities, keeping relevant teams up to date on all developments both internally and externally
The Manager position has both an internal and external orientation, but works closely with the Senior Management Team, Program Development and Quality Team as well as the Program Operation teams in facilitating the planning and undertaking of advocacy, media and communication initiatives.
The post holder will carry out these responsibilities in line with Save the Children’s vision, country strategic plan, and principle of Child Right Programming.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal job description and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in social science, development, journalism.
- Masters or postgraduate degree in communications and media will be an added advantage. At least 5 years of experience in undertaking advocacy, media and communication initiatives in humanitarian and development contexts
- Proven experience in analysing the situation of children using child rights programming/ principles framework
- Proven track record of policy influencing with partners, government and civil societies/key stakeholders
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills, including an ability to deal with people at all levels with credibility, tact, and diplomacy
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and an ability to produce good quality documents, information for a variety of audiences and communicate good practices
- Experience in policy and practice analysis and implementing strategic advocacy initiatives aimed at bringing changes in these areas
- Experience and proficiency in graphic design software
- Strong inter-organizational skill such as networking, negotiation, and communication.
- Willing and able to travel time to field offices to support field teams, as security permits
- Strong computer skills to produce advocacy documents and document and communicate good practices.
- High level of fluency in English, both verbal and written, required.
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
Contract length: Open Ended
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued
Interested candidates should send an application letter plus updated Curriculum Vitae as a single document in English, including 3 names of professional referees.
To apply, follow this link: https://rwanda.savethechildren.net/jobs/job-details/460
The deadline for receiving applications is December 11th, 2018.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
*Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.*
*Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process*