Career Opportunities: Budget & Programming Associate G6 (102805)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme works in more than 80 countries around the world. The mission of WFP is feeding people caught in conflict and disasters, saving lives in emergencies and changing lives for millions through sustainable development and laying the foundations for a better future.
This position will be based in WFP Rwanda, Kigali Country Office and the job holder will typically report to the Budget & Programming Officer.
At this level, the job holder will be expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to complex queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. The job holder will support the management of financial resources and may provide guidance to other staff.
To provide a range of specialized support for efficient planning, monitoring, and analysis of project financial performance to enhance optimal use of financial resources.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Review budget plans, monitor and analyze project financial performance and make recommendations in compliance with WFP financial policies and procedures and best practices, to support financial analysis and optimization of resources.
2. Provide comprehensive analysis on fund and grant balances identifying surpluses and deficits, and suggest corrective measures, to support maximum fund utilization and decision-making process.
3. Support pipeline management ensuring efficient monitoring, to prevent and address pipeline breaks and maximize operational effectiveness.
4. Contribute to the improvement of internal processes, enhancement of corporate systems and the design of tools, to facilitate the overall planning, expenditure forecasting, and budget management and monitoring of resource utilization.
5. Enter project budget plans and revisions in the corporate systems, to ensure data is timely and accurately captured enabling easy access to information and supporting planning and decision-making.
6. Review, compile and analyze data, maintain accurate records and files and prepare periodic and ad hoc reports, to support accuracy and efficiency of information presented to internal and external stakeholders.
7. Maintain communication with a number of stakeholders regarding project funds management matters and related processes, to clarify any discrepancies and optimise use of funds.
8. Provide guidance to other support staff and contribute to their learning and development in budget planning, fund management and operational planning, to facilitate continued development and consistency in services delivered.
9. Follow standard emergency preparedness practices, to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and /or French. The knowledge of both is an added value.
Experience: At least five years of Experience in Finance, monitoring of budgets, resources plans, pipelines, supply chains.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has supported the preparation and management of budgets.
• Has assisted with the monitoring of budgets/resource plans/pipelines/supply chains.
• Has assisted with budget/allotment related issues within the WFP budget system.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Strong knowledge in SAP, Excel (Advanced level) and other business applications or analytical tools
- Strong experience working with large amounts of data: trends analysis, figures, and number crunching
- Strong skills in reaching out to people is needed for the purpose
- Strong work organization skills
- Has provided analytical inputs for the development of budgets, financial plans or analysis
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Eligibility: This position is open to Rwandan nationals or anyone with a valid permit to live and work in Rwanda.
Duration of Post: 1 year renewable, subject to successful performance and availability of funds.
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment, General Service Category, Level 6
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
01 February 2019
Qualified Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply