Nutrition Advisor for HortInvest Project (Rwandan National)
SNV Netherlands Development Organization is a not-for-profit international development organization founded in the Netherlands in 1965; and currently maintains a global presence in 30 countries; across Africa, Asia, and Latin America. SNV has been present in Uganda since 1989 and currently undertakes donor-funded programming within 100+ districts across the country. As an organization, SNV focuses on the Agriculture, WASH and Energy sectors and maintains the belief that no one should have to live in poverty; and that all people should have the opportunity to pursue their own sustainable development. SNV contributes to programming within the Agriculture, WASH and Energy sectors by strengthening the capacities of targeted partners and communities at the field level; in order to realize increased skill sets and sustainable performance; reduce poverty levels, expand employment; improve food security; while paying special attention to gender equity, social inclusion of marginalized groups and stakeholder accountability.
SNV Netherlands Development Organization seeks a Nutrition Advisor for a Government of Netherlands-funded (EKN) horticultural value chain program (2018-2021). The HortInvest project contributes towards the attainment of the mission of the National Horticulture Policy in terms of fast economic growth and rapid reduction in poverty and malnutrition in Rwanda and the objectives of the Rwanda-Dutch bilateral programme aimed at enhanced food security and private sector development. The expected impact will be primarily noticeable in the six target districts in North-west Rwanda.
The Government of Rwanda remains strongly committed to eliminating malnutrition, with a targeted focus on children under two and their mothers and improving food security, particularly among the most vulnerable families. In the Ministry of Health’s Third Health Sector Strategic Plan, the Government of Rwanda aims to support households in increasing and diversifying their food production and improve nutrition-sensitive agricultural practices. Around 90% of Rwandan households consume insufficient quantities of fresh fruits and vegetables1.
To contribute to addressing food and nutrition insecurity, HortInvest works on improving fruit and vegetable consumption in vulnerable households; improving accessibility to other diverse nutritious foods through horticultural livelihood development and improve awareness of the importance of diverse and healthy diets.
HortInvest is seeking a nutrition advisor to provide support on the nutrition component of HortInvest, specifically to:
- Coordinate the programme in selected communities and collaborate with overlapping initiatives (e.g. UNICEF) and Government programmes and structures
- Develop and coordinate the farmer nutrition school trainings at the district and sector level together with the SNV project leader/ Global Nutrition Advisor and in line with national nutrition-sensitive agriculture policies and action plans.
- Coordinate the Social and Behaviour Change Communication (SBCC) strategy
- Provide technical support in the baseline survey, formative research and relevant M&E in the targeted communities
1. Master of Science degree in Nutritional Physiology and Health Status or other fields relevant to the position.
2. At least five (5) years’ experience working in the sector preferably with an INGO in the nutrition field.
3. Experience in awareness raising and behavior change campaigns on health practices, among rural community members.
4. Experience in conducting nutrition behavior-related research.
5. Experience in conducting various assessments, like Knowledge, Skills, Practice, and Incentives (KSPI) assessments and Barriers and Facilitators assessments of nutrition behaviors.
6. Experience in guiding innovation projects with agro-food companies.
7. Experience in the organization and coordination of training of trainers for local government, hospital and health centre staff and Local Civil Society Organisations (LCSOs) on health promotion.
8. Experience in implementing Government of Rwanda health promotion programs (the Community Based Environmental Health Promotion Program (CBEHPP) or the Community Based Food and Nutrition Program (CBF&NP).
9. Experience in working with Rwanda local government structures and frameworks like the District Plan to Eliminate Malnutrition (DPEM) committee.
10. Ability to work effectively with multi-disciplinary teams linking agriculture, WASH and nutrition outcomes.
11. Fluency in English required.
- Excellent presentation and writing skills.
- Ability to interact regularly and professionally across cultures and languages.
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and strong track record in meeting deliverables and deadlines.
- Understanding of Rwandan nutritional and agricultural context
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a highly professional and diverse working environment.
For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
2 years – with a possibility of extension
Expected start date
1st of March 2019
How to apply?
Please apply by clicking on the apply button and complete your application in our in-house recruitment system before 7th February 2019. Please send your application letter and CV that contains three referees as you apply with position title as a subject/reference.