Terms of Reference
Expert to support EPRN in Business Development: Coordinate Research and Professional Trainings; and Engage Partners
The Economic Policy Research Network (EPRN Rwanda) is a research network aiming at strengthening the capacities of individuals and organizations active in or with an interest in economic policy research and analysis. EPRN Rwanda, therefore, responds to economic policy gaps resulting mainly from lack of quality and informative research and the challenge of human capacity in terms of limited numbers of economic researchers and active involvement.
The mission of EPRN Rwanda is to contribute to the evidence-based economic policymaking by providing high-quality research, building capacity and creating networking opportunities.
- OBJECTIVE OF ASSIGNMENT
EPRN is a membership-based non-governmental organization, which has been registered according to Rwandan law in August 2017. The Board of Directors is the governing body which determines EPRN’s Vision and strategy, oversees its implementation, and provides guidance to EPRN staff in operating the network.
Currently EPRN’s costs—core staff and basic costs and activities—are almost fully financed by donor contributions, notably under the GIZ Macroeconomic and Investment Policies Program with the Government of Rwanda. With a view to ensuring financial sustainability, at least 80% of core staff and basic costs is targeted to be covered by own revenues by 2021.
Recently EPRN developed a Resource Mobilization Strategy which provides potential areas of funding from internal services like training, membership fees; and from external sources like commissioned studies, research grants, etc. EPRN also has a detailed Five Years Business Strategy.
The main purpose of this consultancy will be to support and coach EPRN core team in Business Development, coordinate and quality assure research, prepare training catalogue and engage partners.
- SCOPE OF WORK
The assignment consists of:
- Deep Assessment of current status of EPRN and understanding of the desired way forward and future developments of EPRN
- Peruse through the Five Year Strategic Plan and shape and implement the options for its funding/implementation
- Coordinate research through EPRN and ensure quality for all research activities done through or by EPRN
- Implement the EPRN Resource Mobilization Strategy
- Carry out (and coach EPRN team on) Fundraising for EPRN activities from two sources (internal resources and external resources)
- Provide on-job training to two EPRN staff on research coordination resources mobilizations
- DELIVERABLES, TIMELINE
- Inception report and presentation: 7 working days after signing of contract. The inception report describes in detail the envisaged approach to achieve expected outputs with specific focus on research coordination, how the Resource Mobilization Strategy will be implemented and skills transferred;
- Document summarizing implementation mechanisms of the scope of work: 3rd week of the assignment
- By end of the 6th month, internal resources able to cover 30% of the basic costs (fixed costs); and at least one partner engaged and processes to fund EPRN activities started;
- At the end of 12th month, have managed to establish funding agreements between EPRN and two development partners willing to fund part of EPRN basic costs
- REQUIRED EXPERTISE
The following personal qualifications are required:
- Minimum of Master’s degree in Economics, Business Administration, Finance or similar
- At least three years’ experience in coordinating research or research related consultancies
- Proved working relationships with traditional donors which fund research NGOs or Think Tanks
- Five years of professional experience in fundraising for young entities
- Experience in building internal capacities through skills transfer.
- Good knowledge of EAC region economic and institutional context. Knowledge of research activities will be an added advantage.
- Excellent analytical skills, report writing, and oral presentation skills.
This assignment is expected to be implemented in one year period with the possibility to extend the contract period upon performance of the consultant.
Interested candidates are requested to submit the Application Letter detailed CV, and Financial offer (by indicating daily rates including taxes) at EPRN office located at UR-CBE Gikondo (ex SFB) by not later than 19/02/2019, 5 pm local time. Applications may also be sent through EPRN P.O. Box: 7375 Kigali-Rwanda until 19/02/2019, 1 pm OR emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (please send all documents in PDF format and indicate “Application-EPRN Business Development” in the email subject) by not later than 19/02/2019, 5 pm local time.