REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Terms of Reference for a Short-Term Consultant to conduct capacity building sessions for local implementing partners on resource mobilization and grant/proposal writing
IntraHealth Rwanda seeks a competent consultant to conduct short-term training for grant sub-awardees on resource mobilization and proposal/grant writing, under the USAID-funded Ingobyi Activity.
Duration of the assignment: 1 Month (split into three phases l Tentative Date of commencement: February 15th, 2019 l Deadline for applications: February 10th, 2019 l Applications as well as any requests for clarifications should be submitted/sent to: The Procurement unit, Ingobyi Activity (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Ingobyi Activity is a USAID-funded activity led by IntraHealth International, designed to work alongside the Government of Rwanda (GOR) to contribute to the reduction of infant and maternal mortality in Rwanda, by improving the utilization and quality of reproductive, maternal, neonatal and child health (RMNCH), and malaria services in a sustainable manner. Ingobyi Activity builds upon the tremendous gains Rwanda has made in the health sector as well as previous USAID investments in this sector to provide a healthier, more productive future for all Rwandans.
Ingobyi works with the GOR to improve the resilience and sustainability of the health system, and thereby improve the availability, quality and utilization of RMNCH and malaria services. Technical support will be based on national policies, clinical protocols, and global evidence relevant to integrated reproductive health/family planning, maternal health, neonatal health, child health and malaria prevention and treatment.
Ingobyi partners with three Rwandan medical professional associations – Rwanda Society of Obstetrics and Gynecologists (RSOG), Rwanda Pediatric Association (RPA) and Rwanda Midwives Association (RMA) – to strengthen capacity of health care providers in 20 targeted districts.
To strengthen capacity of the above three professional associations (RPA, RMA & RSOG) to contribute to the goal and expected results of Ingobyi Activity, and become effective and self-sustaining entities, the associations will receive targeted capacity building support, particularly focused on planning and resource mobilization, including proposal development. The support will include training of associations’ executive committee members and staff on resource mobilization and grant/proposal writing to strengthen associations’ ability to mobilize resources to support their operations. Training and subsequent coaching to the associations will be conducted by Ingobyi staff and consultants. Following an initial one-week training and subsequent coaching, the associations’ executive committee will have the ability to develop concept notes and prioritize at least two of them for development into full proposals to be submitted to potential funders.
- Purpose/ Objectives of the Assignment
Professional associations (PAs) need sustainable sources of funding to support their ongoing work. This calls for a robust forward-looking resource mobilization strategy, which considers the changing donor landscape and incorporates lessons learned from existing resources mobilization efforts. This strategy must also explore new aid modalities and actors and outline a systematic and strategic approach to leveraging existing and new partnerships as well as recommend how to diversify the resources base for the PAs. To this end, Ingobyi Activity seeks a qualified consultant to develop a resources mobilization strategy for three PAs with a proposed results-oriented action plan. The overall purpose of the consultancy is to support the three Pas to develop a strategy for resource mobilization that identifies key opportunities and analyses the funding landscape to guide Pas in their efforts to mobilize resources in a sustainable manner. In addition, the consultant will conduct training for the PAs’ representatives on resource mobilization and proposal writing. It’s expected that at the end of the training, at least 2 draft concept notes should be produced by each association.
Specific tasks of the consultant will include:
- Review the PAs’ strategic documents, work plan, funding model, and pipeline of interventions to better understand the needs and desired outcomes;
- Explore available financing opportunities and funding landscape and recommend the best fit for them;
- Conduct a comprehensive analysis of potential donors and assess the feasibility of securing multiyear and thematic funding;
- Map donors’ strategic areas of interest and explore opportunities for partnerships (and mobilizing and leveraging resources) from various donors including foundations;
- Develop a plan for pursuing donors and diversifying the resource base;
- Recommend ways to develop and maintain strategic partnerships and engagement with key donors; and
- Assist PAs in preparing two (2) draft funding requests/concept notes targeting specific donors to be identified by the PAs;
- Develop strategies for sustainable resource mobilization for each association.
The methodology will involve among others – review of strategic documents, analysis of trends, workshop presentations, and group discussions – this will take place in 2 workshop sessions per partner, each targeting 15-25people and lasting 3 days.
- Expected Deliverables
The Consultant will provide the following deliverables:
- An end of assignment report summarizing the processes, methodology and actions taken to complete assignment – primarily focusing on resource mobilization strategy and training of PA staff and leadership;
- A mapping of donor interests, priorities, funding windows and clear actions that should be taken to mobilize funds and develop/maintain relationships with these donors by each association; and an outline of a of fundraising materials or tools that need to be produced to secure funding/raise the profile of the PAs;
- A comprehensive resources mobilization strategy for each PA that includes an overview of the association, analysis of the fundraising experience, explores future opportunities and potential resource mobilization strategies, and outlines a time-bound action plan to systematically research and raise funds;
- A plan proposing future opportunities or actions to continue or sustain Pas’ capacity building in resource mobilization and leveraging through partnerships and other approaches to sustain their core businesses; and
- Two (2) draft funding requests/concept notes for each PA targeting specific donors (to be identified by the PAs).
- Profile of the Consultant
- Master’s degree in business administration, economics, public health, or other relevant disciplines
- Fundraising and resources mobilization skills
- Mastery of English and/or French communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to work collaboratively with teams
- Excellent problem-solving skills and an ability to work within tight deadlines
- A commitment to excellence – to meet high-quality standards expected internally and externally.
- Five years of relevant experience in resources mobilization/fundraising, preferably in an international setting
- Proven track record of generating significant funding
- Experience and expertise in developing and maintaining good relationships with institutional donors or corporations.
- Relevant experience working with USAID’s Implementing Partners or other development partners
- Knowledge of the Rwandan health context and initiatives.
The work of the consultant will be under the supervision of the Grants/ Sub-award Manager/ Ingobyi Activity – who will engage other technical personnel as needed.
- Submission of Application
Interested consultants must submit an application including the following: a) a detailed curriculum vitae showing relevant experience; b) personal capacity statement; c) a technical proposal not exceeding 5 pages outlining explanatory note on the understanding of the TOR and the reasons for the application, brief presentation of the methodological approach and organization of the proposed assignment, timeline or activity schedule; and d) a financial proposal in RWF currency should also be provided.
Expressions of interest must be received at the following email address (email@example.com) no later than February 10th, 2019 and specifically mentioning “Short-Term consultancy on capacity building of PAs in resource mobilization and grant/proposal writing.” Only applications submitted by the deadline will be considered.
Shortlisted applicants may be invited for an interview to validate the veracity of the information provided in the application documents, and to assess the consultant’s understanding of the proposed assignment.