TERMS OF REFERENCE TO RECRUIT SENIOR RESEARCH FELLOW
The Institute of Policy analysis and Research (IPAR-Rwanda) is a fast growing indigenous, independent and not-for-profit Rwandan Institute. IPAR seeks to enhance evidence-based policy making by conducting timely, relevant, high-quality policy-oriented analysis and research. It also promotes a culture of debate and dialogue on policy issues in Rwanda. IPAR received a grant from Friedrich Ebert Stiftug(FES) and intends to apply part of it to hire the reputable and highly experienced Senior Research Fellow. IPAR is seeking to recruit an experienced and highly motivated staff at the level of Senior Research Fellow.
The Senior Researcher’s Role;
- To work in a team to ensure IPAR’s poverty-related research output is of quality, timely, relevant and high impact,
- To design, lead and deliver research programmes, consultancy assignments, projects and policy briefs on the topic of poverty, that contribute to meeting IPAR’s core objectives,
- To provide leadership in research project management: developing sustainable means to ensure that IPAR’s research on poverty is quality assured, submitted to rigorous deadlines and that budgets are properly designed and managed,
- To develop funding proposals, the drive the organization’s ability to access new and diverse funding sources.
- To contribute to building the public profile of the organization, and the Poverty Advisory Group by creating opportunities to participate in various forms of dialogue with public, not-for-profit, private and donor stakeholders and by public speaking and contributing to print and broadcast media
Desired Profile of the Senior Research Fellow
- Highly motivated Research professional, with a Ph.D. in social science or its equivalent from a top-tier university, and with at least 5 years of relevant research experience in a think-tank or active policy research Institute.
- Expertise in qualitative and quantitative research methods and the willingness and ability to supervise and transfer those skills to others
- Record of high-quality research output demonstrable by publications in prestigious outlets including high-quality journals, policy documents, and newspapers.
- Experience of undertaking a similar role in a public Research Institution or Thinktank
- Strong and demonstrated Research administration and Budget management skills
- Fluency in English is essential, working knowledge of French and/or Kinyarwanda is an added advantage
- Highly numerate, with strong skills in qualitative and statistical analysis, with expertise in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, outlook) and statistical software (e.g. SPSS, STATA) very desirable.
- Reports, proposals, and articles written as needed
- Budgets that area developed and adhered to
- Presentations of research findings made to policymakers, media, and other public audiences
- Funding adequate to support research operations
- Detailed documentation and a database for all work performed
- Deadlines for research projects met within established time frames
The Senior Research Fellow will report to the Director of Research IPAR. He/she will have responsibility for the leadership of a research team of up to 40 research assistants.
Delivery expectations will be agreed upon with the Senior Research Fellow when recruited. Regular progress reports shall be submitted on the agreed intervals to be specified at the beginning of the contract, with a strong focus on delivery. External reporting may also be required to IPAR’s board and funders.
An attractive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered to the successful candidate
HOW TO APPLY?
Shortlisted candidates will then be interviewed shortly afterward. Should you have any further questions please send e-mail on email@example.com with “Senior Research Fellow Recruitment” in the subject line.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Done on 19th February 2019