RECRUITMENT OF LAWYERS TO PROVIDE LEGAL EDUCATION AND AID TO PRISONERS
I. Subject: Call for Applications to provide Legal Education and Aid to prisoners.
Lawyers of hope(LOH) is a Non-Governmental Organization with the mission to seek and reach out to the most vulnerable members of our Society, in particular Children, Prisoners, Women and other needy people, to seek Justice on their behalf, and to share with them Christ Love and compassion.
Funded by USAID Duteze Imbere Ubutabera (DIU) through Chemonics International., Lawyers of hope is implementing 18 months Access to Justice Activity, entitled Duteze Imbere Ubutabera (DIU). The objective of DIU project is to:
Increase access to justice and enhance the rule of law in Rwanda through (a) improving judicial effectiveness in both formal court mechanisms and community justice (Abunzi), and (b) improving public understanding of judicial system processes and legal rights.
Reports to: president of Lawyers of hope
Number of positions: 5
Job location: Bugesera, Rusizi, Huye, Musanze and Rubavu Districts
III. KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Lawyers of hope is looking for suitably qualified Lawyers to assist the project in the following:
- Representing/assisting involved in all cases received during the period of the implementation of the project
- Representing before the courts, prisoners in Bugesera, Huye, Rusizi, Musanze, and Rubavu prisons as per the cases that will be allocated to him/her
- Represent prisoners at all trial levels(toutes les instances de la procedures)
- Inform Immediately LOH if the case was treated by any other organization
- Provide legal information to prisoners in order to help them understand their fundamental rights and basic criminal procedure principles;
- Provide advice to prisoners with no grounds of appeal
- Meet regularly with the client in order to inform him/her the progress of the dossier and collect his/her advice;
- Prepare appeal papers for those prisoners with grounds of appeal.
- Make written and quality conclusions(submission) in the case he /she was given to assist with and provide a copy to LOH
- Prepare monthly report on each case he /she represented.
- Address to LOH a report on any court hearing or other work done about the case within five days following the date on which the court hearing or work was held
- Make a closing report for each case within six days following that closure.
IV. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- To hold a valid membership Card from RBA
- Minimum 3 years of experience work
- Must demonstrate vast experience in having carried out similar or related work.
- Fluent in Kinyarwanda and English
- Having an office in the following districts: Bugesera, Rusizi, Huye, Musanze and Rubavu District is considered
We strongly encourage Lawyers who have an office in the above-mentioned Districts to apply,
V. How to apply:
Please submit a CV, cover letter, and contact information by March 6th, 2019
The application files must be delivered by hand to the Lawyers of hope office address, at Solace Ministry KG 563 St, Kigali
All applications must include an operational e-mail address and a mobile phone number. Please note that applications sent by e-mail will not be accepted and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Done at Kigali on February 19, 2019
Me Gahizi Safari
President of the board of Lawyers of hope