CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Open to External Parties
Position Title: Junior Consultant-IBM
Organizational Unit: Programme Department
Duty Station: Rwanda
Classification: Consultant, Grade UG
Type of Appointment: Consultancy, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: March 03, 2019
Reference Code: CON 2019/01 – RW
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all.
IOM Rwanda is managing a Border Management project as a component of the European Union 11th EDF Great Lakes Programme. This multi-year project is being implemented in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Rwanda. The programme will focus on the Rusizi II border control point between the DRC and Rwanda, implementing the One Stop Border Post (OSBP).
The main objectives of this programme are to increase cross-border trade through and Integrated Border Management approach and contribute to social cohesion of the cross-border communities of the DRC and Rwanda through joint management of a border crossing, the streamlining of movements of people and goods, the provision of infrastructure and services, and improved communication between and within border organizations and between the two countries; while improving the level of security and safety of the cross-border covered area.
Under the overall direction of the Senior Regional Programme Manager, and in coordination with the Senior Project Assistant, the IBM Consultant will be responsible of the following:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Conduct a desk review of migration legislation of DRC and Rwanda and support the development of relevant procedures to facilitate migration management at the OSBP.
- Collect and organize existing migration information from academic and governmental sources as well as international institutions, among others dealing with migration issues in the Great Lakes region, aligned to the 11th EDF priorities.
- Assess the qualitative and quantitative data and information collected in order to specifically inform migration and border management activities of the project.
- Assist in the design and implementation of assessments for DRC and Rwanda in the border area of Rusizi II, with a view of mapping out the different types of migratory flows, the needs of migrants and border communities, with particular attention to gender considerations and protection.
- Based on the assessment findings, support the development of contextualized capacity building activities targeting relevant authorities, communities and migrants/traders as well as other partners on issues related to migrant facilitation, human rights and rights of migrants.
- Assist in the design and implementation of the project’s capacity building activities, including training preparation and delivery, drafting of reports and other written materials/documents related to the project deliverables.
- Develop and implement awareness-raising initiatives tailored to the project activities, in a participatory, culturally- and gender-sensitive manner, especially targeting local authorities, migrants and border communities of the Rusizi II border area.
- Travel on duty to the project site in Rwanda and DRC, based on the needs of the project.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Experience and Competencies
- Minimum of 2 years’ work experience and good track record of skills and knowledge development;
- Experience in project development and implementation, development of data collection tools and conducting needs assessment and analysis;
- Experience in dealing with capacity building in human rights matters;
- Track record of working/coordinating with governmental authorities and local and/or border communities;
- Good communication, writing, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Ability to work efficiently and calmly under pressure;
- Proven high level of discretion and flexibility.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is an added advantage.
How to apply:
The subject of your e-mail MUST indicate the reference code, the Position title as well as candidate’s names In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a completed Consultants Information Form (please download the attached form and fill it) and an application letter (not more than one page).
Please submit all applications on email@example.com not later than March 03, 2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: From 25.02.2019 to 03.03.2019